Montreux Jazz Festival

Friday, 11 July 2014

Last weekend myself, Savannah and a group of friends headed to Switzerland to support my husband's band Fingertrap when they played Montreux Jazz Festival. It was a little last minute for Savannah, Shane and Knighty as they didn't know if they were going to be able to make it. Savannah booking a week before, Shane 2 days and Knighty booking just hours before we left. Of course the first stop was the airport bar for breakfast and a pint (or in my case a coffee).

When we landed in Geneva airport we went straight to Geneva to go and see the sights. Lake Geneva is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. I only saw a small part in Geneva but it was like being in a Windows desktop image. It just didn't feel real.

 We spent a night across the border in France before heading back to the airport to catch a train to Montreux. The public transport in Switzerland is so easy and cheap compared to the UK and was by far the easiest and most picturesque way to travel around. It was around an hours train journey to get to Montreux but it went so quick with all the beautiful scenery to look at en route. 

As soon as we got to Montreux we headed to meet the boys and have a look at the stage that they were due to perform on. The weather was beautiful and we all managed to burn in the sun. We were followed by a Shure film crew that were vlogging the bands journey around Europe. It was such a surreal feeling walking around an amazing place being filmed. 

We managed to have a bit of time to have a look around the main street of the festival and get a look at the Freddie Mercury statue at the edge of the lake. It took a while for us to get a chance to have a photo because there were so many people wanting a photo with it. 

We then jumped on a boat to have a cruise around the lake and have an even better (I didn't think it was possible) view of Lake Geneva and the Alps. 

The day seemed to be perfect. Nothing could go wrong, until Fingertrap took to the stage to soundcheck. The heavens decided to open. The sun had all but disappeared, and the crowd that were waiting at the stage, went with it. The boys walked onto stage to an empty park and torrential rain. We could see the disappointment on their faces and could do nothing about it. The excitement of the day was gone and everyone was trying to get under any available shelter. Then, as if things couldn't get any worse, thunder and lightning. There was only one thing for it, my rain sodden shoes came off, my hair got tied in a messy bun on top of my head and we all went out into the rain. The boys started playing their set and we did all we could to get the crowd involved with us. Soaked through, as people started hearing their music they joined in with our dancing in the rain. 30 minutes in the whole crowd was bouncing. The empty park was now filled with drenched people, completely enjoying themselves, not caring about the weather. People were filing into the park and dumping their umbrellas to get involved. We were all so proud of Fingertrap for achieving such an amazing turn out when we thought all was lost. Everyone loved them and almost caused a stampede when they started giving out free CD's. 

We all went back stage after their set and Shure made sure (pun intended) that we had everything that we could ever want, including a £1000 bar tab. We had an amazing time and I think the rain made for even better memories. 

Of course on the way home I realised I hadn't bought any Swiss chocolate. In the airport we found an amazing chocolate shop and bought a selection, the coffee one was the best but they were all amazing. 

Sorry for the extra long post, but this was most definitely one of the best weekends of my life. I still can't believe that it actually happened. I am so proud of what Fingertrap have achieved so far and can't wait to see where it goes. 

Abi xo

No comments:

Post a Comment